Sign up for the event at our TidyHQ event page - Click Here
The annual Buffalo Triathlon Club "Spring Thing" offers a variety of distances to bike and run on Grand Island out of Beaver Island. The event is non-competitive, intended to help you to push your personal limits and welcome the triathlon season with fellow teammates. Parking is next to Pavilion 4.
It's free to all BTC members but you must be registered before midnight on Thursday May 18th. If you are not a member, but would like to participate in this event, you are welcome to join.
The event start times are staggered so that participants should finish around the same time.
• 7am: The "transition area" opens.
• 8am: Long Course - 100 mile bike ride (5 loops of Grand Island) followed by a 10km (6.2Mi) run.
• 9am: Timed Century - 100 mile bike ride (5 loops of Grand Island). No run.
• Noon: Woods Course - 20 mile bike ride( 1 loop of Grand Island) followed by a 10k run.
• Noon: Intermediate Course - 40 mile bike ride (2 loops of Grand Island) followed by a 5km (3.1Mi) run.
• 1:30pm: Short Course - 20 mile bike ride (1 loop of Grand Island) followed by a 5km (3.1Mi) run.
• 1:30pm: Mini Course - 10 mile bike ride (along the bike path) followed by a 5km (3.1Mi) run.
• 3:30pm: Small award ceremony at the picnic site Hot dogs, hamburgers and veggie burgers will be provided along with water and Gatorade, Please feel free to bring a dish to pass and celebrate their achieved distance during and after the award ceremony.
On course aid ( water , Gatorade, fruit will be provided at transition , (1.5mile and 3 mile run distances) it is recommended that participants bring their own personal fuels( don't try new things on race day!)
It is very important that participants arrive early enough to sign in for their perspective start times , receive their bib, go over any route changes or details. Courses may be changed or altered based on conditions.
If you arrive late and miss your start time you will be bumped to shorter distance.
These "rules" are in place for a smooth run event and not a logistical nightmare.
Participants are expected to start at the time they register for. We will not start riders at non-scheduled times as it makes scheduling volunteers and coordinating the event harder. Out of respect to all those volunteering, course cut-off time will be 3:30pm. We kindly ask that you return to the shelter at that time and sign out even if this means you did not finish your distance. You can always go back out on your own afterwards.
Please note that this is NOT a closed course, so all traffic laws must be followed and caution is warranted the entire day.
NUTRITION: Participants are encouraged to bring their own nutrition (food, drink, etc) to complete the event that they are registered for, however the BTC will also provide water, Infinit products, and other snacks. We will have supplies available at the park shelter, as well as at a tent on the bike course, and a table on the run course. Participants are welcome to stage their own supplies at these locations as well.
According to the web site for Beaver Island Park, there will not be a charge to enter the park on the day of the event.
We are always looking for volunteers to help with this event. If you are interested in volunteering please register as a volunteer if you can help us!
If you have any questions about this event, you can direct them to the events committee.